- Are Eastern values “better” than Western values?
- Three different perspectives on Miyamoto Musashi’s “Arresting Shadows”
- Are “spiritually meaningful” martial arts better than combat arts?
- How do you teach young people about violence prevention?
- Can you learn to apply “martial arts principles” without training in a martial art?
- Is your martial arts training one of the most valuable things you’ve ever invested in?
- Discover your Depths – Seven insights for martial artists from a world record-holding freediver
- Read Joelle White’s response to this article here – Desiring Depth
- Can martial arts help to dissolve racial tension?
- Budo Inochi named as a top martial arts blog 🙂
- Is Defence Lab the future face of martial arts? Here are ten reasons it could be . . .
- Read Brian John’s response to this article here – The State of the Filipino Martial Arts Industry
- Read Jackie Bradbury’s response here – The State of the (Filipino) Martial Arts Industry – My Two Cents
- “Discover Who You Are” – Nine lessons for martial artists from Disney’s Moana
- New research gives intriguing insights into Martial Arts and Mindfulness
- Seven ways to use Christmas stress to train your mind and spirit
- Is Lightsaber Combat a real martial art – and what can asking this question unlock for us?
- This beautiful exercise illuminates Bruce Lee’s “Way of no Way”
- Why martial arts can be a powerful route to mindfulness
- Does a university education make any difference to your ability to learn a martial art?
- On looking for secrets within your martial art study
- Listen to Sifu Tim Smith’s response to this article here (two-part podcast on Kung Fu Podcasts: 3 Level of Personal Research in Martial Arts
- Are “flirtatious” women in the dojo a threat to serious female martial artists?
- Five martial arts secrets that women know
- A closer look at the three kanji in “Aikido”
- Do Japanese people and Westerners experience Aikido the same way?
- Read Ben Judkins’ (Kung Fu Tea) response to this article here: Culture, Experience and Understanding – Or, Who Can Master “Authentic” Aikido?
- Ten ethical reasons you should exploit martial arts myths to promote your school
- Is it possible to recreate a lost martial art from old training manuals?
- Reader question – Should I tell my sensei about my traumatic past?
- Five ways sparring can change you as a person
- Eight reasons to train in Lightsaber Combat (even if you don’t agree it’s a real martial art)
- Ten ways martial arts training can help survivors of abuse
- Why Elsa and Anna from “Frozen” are the ultimate martial arts role models
- How to apply Miyamoto Musashi’s Nine Strategic Principles in modern life – A quick guide
- Helping an Emotionally Damaged Person can be so Hard
- The Rise of the Jujitsu Suffragettes
- Ten ways that martial arts can help children with Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties (BESD)
- If Men and Women Fight over Gender Equality, Who Wins and Who Loses?
- Is Tackling Discrimination a Hard or a Soft Art?
- Bob Breen 4D Combat Seminar
- Permission to be unpretty – On enjoying the pure freedom that training gives you – of not having to worry about how you look in the slightest . . .
- Should You Treat Women as Flowers or Warriors?
- What is Inclusive Masculinity? (graphic)
- Do some women learn martial arts differently to some men?
- The Art of the Guarded Heart – Kamae is not only for fighting; and when used mindfully, a guarded heart is not necessarily the bad thing people often believe it to be . . .
- Why I’m not inspired by female warriors – despite loving martial arts
- Ten ways that “real” martial arts training can be more empowering than a “Martial Arts Inspired” workout
- The Attraction of Violence – Why can fighting and machismo transfix even a cultured and sensitive man . . . ?
- A morning with Mara Yamauchi – Part Two – Ways to engage more women in sport – Notes from a discussion with Mara and group of local female sports coaches on ways to engage more women in sport.
- Why do Friends Give Each Other a Hard Time? – What’s really going on when guys torment each other in the name of friendship?
- What kind of coach is best at engaging women and girls in the martial arts?
- Hey Guys! Here’s Why You Should be Nice to Your Body
- A morning with Mara Yamauchi – Part One – A retired British long-distance track and road running athlete speaks to an audience of female sports coaches about her experiences as a female athlete, and her more recent move into coaching.
- Ten tips for engaging young women and girls in the martial arts
- Everybody Needs a Little Time Away – How martial arts is helping one man make the best of having to work away form home
- “To see a world in a grain of sand” – The awesomeness of training with beginners
- News stories about women and martial arts: 30 April 2016
- Filipino Dirty Boxing Seminar with Daniel Sullivan
- A 21st century woman’s take on the sensei / student relationship in martial arts
- Training my way out of grief
- Can Chasing Boyhood Dreams Actually Be a Powerful Road to Maturity?
- Are “kick-ass” martial arts movie heroines empowering – or not . . . ?
- Kung Fury: Contemporary Debates in Martial Arts Cinema – Conference write-up
- The Unexpected Secret Fear of This Top Executive Blew me Away
- How one woman’s bad karate suddenly became my heart’s desire
- How the Samurai spoke to my hard-to-reach boys across the centuries
- What Happens When a Trusted Man Teaches a Woman to Fight?
- How to create the perfect martial arts club website – Interview with Matthew Apsokardu of The Ikigai Way
- The (Martial) Art of Good Men – The insider reality of martial arts can offer a deep, rich soil for growing and nurturing enlightened masculinity
- Practical ways to include disabled people in martial arts training
- Graphic – How martial arts can change your life
- How teaching disabled students can enrich your own martial arts
- 10 Tips for Coaching Disabled People in Sport
- Why a Nice Guy Broke My Finger – How I learned that nice doesn’t always mean trustworthy
- News stories about women and martial arts: 15 February 2016
- Violence, Vulnerability and Visions of Change – Can Martial Arts Drive Social Transformation? – Conference notes from the Martial Arts Studies: Gender Issues in Theory and Practice event (University of Brighton) – 5 February 2016
- How I let go of Doubt, Jealousy and Karate Belts
- Graphic – How to market your dojo to women
- Infinity Loops, Forgotten Applications and Daoist Thunder Rituals – New Research Yields Exciting Insights Into the Martial Arts – A précis of the Martial Arts Studies Journal – Volume One – November 2015
- Inspirational copyright-free pictures of women in martial arts
- How Gender Balanced is your Dojo?
- How to make your dojo more female-friendly (free e-book)
- Five awesome insights on women in boxing – From Leah Hager Cohen’s “Without Apology – Girls, Woman and the Desire to Fight”
- Training Women in the Martial Arts – A Special Journey
- Keiko, renshu, shuren, tanren, kufu, and shugyo – Six Japanese words for training – and their kanji
- The Talent Code – key points and themes
- The Zen Way to the Martial Arts – some key points and themes
- The meaning of the kanji for Rei (Etiquette)