Produced as material for Black Belt WIki – A martial arts wiki focused on free kata & instruction
The Aikido 13 Jo Kata – Brief instructions for those just needing a quick refresh.
More detailed instructions are also available here
Jū-san no jō kata
十三 の 杖 型
START in hidari-hanmi kamae (hidari jō no kamae)
左半身構え ・ 左杖の構え
Hold the jo vertically with your left hand, so that it touches the ground just in front of your left foot
- Choku tsuki 直突き(Direct Thrust) – in left stance; no step.
- Jōdan gaeshi 段返し(High counter) – raise jo up to the right to protect your head; no step – and Shōmen uchikomi 正面打ち込み (Stepping strike to the front of the head) – change hands and step forward into right stance.
- Jōdan gaeshi 上段返し (HIgh counter) – raise jo up to the left to protect your head; at the same time draw left foot back then right foot.
- Choku tsuki 直突き(Direct Thrust) – step right foot forward into right stance
- Hassō gaeshi 八相返し(Figure of eight counter) – turn 180° to face the back of the room; push jo down with left hand, let it come up and end up in Hasso no Kamae in left stance
- Shōmen Uchikomi 正面打ち込み (Stepping strike to the front of the head) – step forward into right stance (still facing the back of the room)
- Chūdan gaeshi 中段返し (Mid-level counter) – turn 180° to left, back to face front of room again. Tenkan (left foot moves back around 180°) into another right stance.
- Choku tsuki 直突き (Direct Thrust) – right stance
- Gedan gaeshi 下段 返し(Low counter) – Thrust back and down the ground on your left side, in right stance
- Chūdan gaeshi 中段返し (Mid-level Counter) – step forward into left stance
- Jōdan tsuki 上段突き (High Thrust) – left stance, no step
- Tsuki kamae 突き 構え– slide both feet back, still in left stance Slightly rotate the front tip of the jo clockwise to parry an incoming thrust.
- Choku tsuki 直突き(Direct Thrust) – still in left stance
END in hidari-hanmi kamae 左半身構え